If you’ve been focused on a goal that takes a long time to achieve, then you’ll know how easy it is to get off track…
You start out perfectly, but over time little side projects come up that seem important, but really have little, or no benefit in helping you achieve the original goal. You seem to temporarily lose sight of what’s important, and time ends up getting wasted, and often money gets wasted too.
It’s not just you, everyone does it! It’s simply human nature to take on more task that you can handle, which puts you off course.
The Guided Missile
If you’ve listen to many personal development course, or even business development courses like me, you’ll probably have heard about how a guided missile works…
It is shot in the direction of the target, AKA, the ‘goal’, but it is constantly pushed off course by things like wind, air pressure etc. If left uncorrected it would end up far off course and totally miss the target, which means the goal does not get completed.
So to combat this, it has a computer on-board that checks the missiles direction at specified intervals. So if it’s off course, it makes a minor adjustment and gets back on course, until finally arriving at the exact target it set to hit.
You can see how this is directly related to you and your photography business.
You need to have a system of…
- Creating a goal
- Regularly checking the steps you’re taking toward that goal
This ensures that you don’t get sidetracked by things that don’t really matter!
How To Create This System
It’s pretty simple really, and it’s something I learned from a time management book. Possibly by Dan Kennedy, but can’t fully remember the source.
I use it in my own life and it has served me very well so far, because I definitely suffer from having a lot going on at once thanks to my high motivation levels!
So FINALLY, here’s what to do…
- Simply pick a time and day each week. For me just before bed on a Sunday night works well…
- Sit down and have a look at your goals list to remind yourself of exactly where you want to end up… then think about what you have done in that week that’s just ended to achieve it.
- Next, write down exactly what you want to do in the week ahead to bring you closer to those goals. This will be very different for each person, but it should be a list so big that it almost seems impossible to complete in the week. Having a big list helps you to manage your time better and push yourself to the limit.
- Also, look back on the notes that you wrote from the previous week to see how close you came to achieving those tasks!
- Keep this weekly goals list with you at all times and refer to it at least once per day.
You’ll quickly notice that you’re achieving a lot more each week, and that after a few months you become more goal oriented… almost like you’ve got laser focus on achieving that goal you set for yourself.
The achievement of your goals will also come FAR sooner than they would have without this simple system.
Please use this simple method for achieving your goals. Pick a day and time each week for your ‘Guided Missile’ planning session and stick to it! It’s so, so easy and it really has results that you wouldn’t even believe!
Leave a comment below if you’ve got any questions, or let me know about your planning and goal setting routines!P.S. I've consulted privately with 281 photographers over the last 24 months so I can give you the strategies that are working right now to grow your business to its potential, meaning you can earn an executives income doing work that you love without it eating away your entire life!
To get these strategies join me on this page so we can begin!